Wednesday 8 February 2012

Contentment.................


One of my favourite things to do is 'people watching' ( no, not stalking),  just observing characters.  Top of my watching list are my children, particularly Gracie who epitomises all that is good about life. Tonight I watched as she ate her second helping of my famous lasagna!  You've got to try it to believe it.  With each mouthful came "mmmmm, m...m....m, Mum this is so good" as she swung her legs back and forth.  Rewind a few years and I remember how she would, as she drank her milk as a baby, kick her legs as a sign of sheer contentment.  Simply put her contentment comes from her trust in me that I will feed her when she is hungry.
.
It got me thinking about 'contentment' and what it is.  We often think of it as being content with our situation in life and what you've got and never trying to improve it.  I think this is not what it is meant to be.  My contentment then comes from me standing on the promises of my Father; it is born out of my absolute trust in Him for my life just as Gracie trusts her Dad and I for her life. 

Today (day 44) I am thankful that my contentment grows out of having God's perspective on my life.  Part of that perspective is striving to improve my character, but He also wants me to prosper in my job, in my finances, in my relationships with others and so on, so I think there is also contentment in striving or wanting to 'better ourselves' (pardon the expression) as long as we seek His face and walk in His will, otherwise we risk losing a zest for life.  Does this make sense?   

Ps I was blessed with a lovely and lengthy phone call from a lovely friend.  Always the tonic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!