Tuesday 14 February 2012

We love because He first loved us...........

You know what it's like; it is late evening, the kids are tucked up in the land of nod and we finally have some one-on-one time (I love it).  Well it's the only time we're guaranteed no interruptions or trying to get a word in with Gracie (can't think who she gets it from).  Did I hear you say she's her father's girl?  ...............  In fact Ayo inspired what would be my blogg today.

He was chuckling about our younger two and how very close they are; how much they just enjoy each other's company, their antics, laughter, arguments, tears, fighting each other's corner and hurting when the other hurts (even at this young age).  Even funnier to see sometimes is Aaron's attempts to assert his big brother authority and Gracie refusing to acknowledge his big brother authority, you know what I mean.  Ayo and I are often in stitches as we observe this sibbling see-saw of life that is encased in a hard case called love, a poignant thought on this universal day of love.   He went on to say how as siblings they are the friends that neither chose but were given by default.  What a powerful statement.  It realy ministered to me.  This depth of love continues when Sam comes home, the three of them sleep end to end, or on sleeping bags in the same room.  Actually they are not bothered how / where as long as they are together. 

They naturally use the expression 'I love you' to each other, numerous times during the day; I don't remember being encouraged to do the same when I was their age .........................how good it is to learn from children!

Being one of eleven I know from first-hand experience that this sibbling see-saw of life is not an easy one but I also know that there is a life time of benefits to reap through 'sibbling friendship', the foundation of which is love.  I am determined that they will, with our encouragement continue to build on what they already have.  In years to come when they look back on their lives with each other their raucous, side splitting laughter will come from the memories that they are making today. 

A radio presenter kind of hit the nail on the head today when he said, 'we don't need a special day to celebrate 'love' because we should celebrate it everyday, in all the various forms it comes. 
The love being celebrated today is Eros: romantic, passionate, love, which I definitely endorse and at the risk of sounding 'cliche' and making you reach for the sick bucket, is a blessing and privilege to share with my soulmate. However, there is one so special and priceless and doesn't require the purchase of flowers, chocs or perfume and I see it demonstrated in my children's relationship with each other............

Agape (a-GOP-aye) is a gentle, caring, giving type of love, brotherly love, not concerned with the self. It is relatively rare. Mother Theresa showed this kind of love for impoverished people.

So today (day 50) I am thankful for that and reminded that this is the love that my Father commands me to give as he so freely gives to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!