Sunday 3 June 2012

contemplative and emotional ....... what a good day!

What a contemplative, emotional day......... An old friend of our fellowship was visiting this week-end and co-led the worship with my hubby and it really did raise the roof!  It is good to lift our voices to praise the King, individually, but also as one body.  A few testimonies now opened the floodgates and I found it hard to keep my composure.  It is so good to hear of God's goodness and grace flowing in people's lives; to hear strong convictions of the power of God undoubtedly at work.

Now I would not say I am a staunch royalist, but I do have a sincere respect for the Queen and I feel the tribute to her today is fitting.  One thing she has been during her 60 year reign is consistent in her approach to her duty as Queen. So much has been documented about her and her relationship with her family, particularly her children, but watching footage presented by Prince Charles it's clear that she enjoys a special relationship with each of them.  To read that one of the things she was presented with at her coronation was a bible is poignant; she often mentions God and her faith in her annual new year address. 

In fact her coronation address on 2nd June 1953 was:

"When I spoke to you last, at Christmas, I asked you all, whatever your religion, to pray for me on the day of my Coronation - to pray that God would give me wisdom and strength to carry out the promises that I should then be making."

Further into her speech was more reference to God

"Therefore I am sure that this, my Coronation, is not the symbol of a power and a splendour that are gone but a declaration of our hopes for the future, and for the years I may, by God's Grace and Mercy, be given to reign and serve you as your Queen."

I believe that it is this faith that has sustained her through the often public trials and tribulations that come with life as the head of the monarchy.  Long may she continue to reign.

Just to keep you in the celebratory mood here are 10 interesting facts about her:
  • The Queen is 5'4'' tall
  • The Queen was the first British Monarch to send her children to boarding school in order to remove them from the ever probing media
  • The Queen has owned more than 30 corgis
  • The Queen has 9 thrones
  • The Queen is the second longest serving British Monarch
Contemplation is a good thing, so too are emotions and when the two are combined .................... well I get a day like today (day 160) and for that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!