Sunday 22 July 2012

Sticks and stones ......................

It is so so important, in fact, crucial as parents that we make sure we constantly build our children's self esteem and confidence as much as we can because they will get knocks along the way.  Now I am not one to brag, but where my husband and children are concerned I make no apologies...........  Now my boys are most handsome and my Gracie, a little beauty, but not just on the outside, but also on the inside.

Life being life and people being people I cannot legislate for what my children might encounter outside of their home and today Aaron was quite upset about something he had experienced.  He had gone out to play tennis with two friends and said he heard someone poking fun at the shape of his head.  Now my instinctive reaction was to take up my battle spear and go to seek out and confront, but thank goodness that common sense and the strong arms of my husband were there to hold me back!!!!.  I explained to him that unfortunately most of us have been or will be subject to similar comments at some point in our lives; growing up I was teased for having skinny legs (this had quite an impact on my confidence way into my adulthood) and also for wearing glasses.

As a family we all talked to him to encourage him about the fact that he is perfectly made, in His Father's image and took the opportunity to talk about the forthcoming Olympics, focusing on the paralympic athletes and the adversities they have had to overcome.  Importantly that each of them are unique whole beings with incredible gifting just as he is.  Big brother Sam continued to build him up by reminding Aaron that only just recently when he went to take his music exam one of the examiners commented on how handsome he was.   You see it's not my imagination!

Honestly it hurts me very much when my children feel hurt by mindless behaviour like this, but you know what Aaron has gone to bed knowing that he is very much loved, regarded and highly favoured and today (day 209) I really am most thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!