Tuesday 7 August 2012

August......................

Ayo was chatting about the summer holiday and the fact that we are already in week three of six.  I said to him that right up till midnight of the last day of the holidays I would savour every moment.  When the new academic session starts in September it is full on and together with the darker, shorter evenings it can be quite a climb to get back into the swing of things so the month of August is truly a special month for this reason and many others.  More than two decades ago I would have been just one month away from saying 'I do' to my prince and we would have been very busy with the final preparations.

August is a month of long, lazy days; late morning starts, bbqs, meeting up and catching up; a time to slow down and wind down; a time to enjoy home made ice-cream sundaes and fresh fruit salad as we watch movies till late.  At some point I will need to have to use some of the holiday to have a sort through of last session's 'bumf' and plan and prepare for the new, but even that is refreshing so I won't mind (well, perhaps a little)! 

Continuing with lazy days whose idea was it to take that evening dip .........the water was c--o---l---d!  Thank goodness the hot shower that swiftly followed.

Today it was the turn of our Gracie to cook up a storm and so she did, further employing my services as a loyal kitchen hand.  Now she loves pasta and so decided to treat us all to macaroni cheese, her favourite.  She then insisted on decorating the table with a grand candelabra and carefully draped the curtains nearest to the dining table.  God bless her initiative and efforts, they were very much appreciated by us.

Today (day 225) I am thankful for this most precious holiday month of August.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!