Friday 11 May 2012

If you can help.............. help!

I am so excited to share my blessings with you one of which although not mine directly, again has taught me a lesson about giving the best of ourselves all the time and also deepened my desire to be all that God wants me to be.  I hope you can spare a few minutes to read.

Recently I shared with you about feeling a little (actually quite a bit) under pressure with school 'stuff'' at the moment.  Well on Tuesday I had barely taken my jacket off to set up for the morning when Ollie, a student teacher currently on placement at my school came in to ask for my help.  Although he is placed with another teacher she directed him to my partner teacher who directed him to me.  He had a forthcoming interview; in fact it was the next day and wanted me to cast my eyes over his lesson plan and resources.  I really didn't have the time because I hadn't finished my prep before the children arrived. In addition it was my turn to do the pre-school playground patrol.  However it is just not my nature to say no if I know I can help , but I also felt it was a privilege to have him ask me for help.  Very quickly I glanced over the bumph he presented to me,  made some suggestions and said he should come back at lunchtime and we could continue.  It ended up that I used my entire lunchtime helping him and further offered my teaching assistant to help photocopy and collate his resources.  After a lengthy after school staff meeting he came to have a chat again and I encouraged him regarding his interview.

Imagine my delight when he came through to my class with the news that he had just received a call from the school offering him the position.  He was most thankful for my input, but in particular the time I had given on his behalf.  What a blessing ! 

The lessons I learnt from this experience are clear.  Firstly if we are in a position to help someone else, in what ever capacity, then we must.  At times there might be a cost; more often than not, time, which I know for most of us, paricularly we multi - tasking women, is in short supply!  It is though a blessing to bless.  Secondly if we find ourselves in need of help and a genuine offer comes our way then let us say yes more often.  God did not intend us to be an island and to this end, equips each of us with one or more amazing gifts.  May be yours is the gift of encouragement, the gift of a listening ear or the gift of giving.  I believe God wants us to use the gifts he gives us...................... so, .... what are we waiting for!

But my blessings did not stop there.  I came home to discover that my dear friend Tania had nominated me for an award: a sunshine award because she says my posts cheer her up and lift her spirits every day!  I feel so blessed that something I do blesses her.  It is actually due to the encouragement I have from my family, thank you to my soul mate Ayo, my sisters Sade and Comfort, friends -  thank you Tania & Di and my blog friends - thank you Kristi for your kind words) that I am inspired to continue, even on days when I have to dig deep.   Above all of this  I am inspired because I so want to be more like Him.  I am so thankful today (day 137) that my Father has not finished the work in me and is never to busy to meet with me.

1 comment:

  1. You make good points. I'm particularly impressed with your suggestion to accept help more readily; this is a difficult thing for many people. Giving and receiving service is at the heart of love, though, and both giver and receiver benefit. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!