Wednesday 2 May 2012

The privilege is ours........................

When I woke up this morning I was still pondering on the the fact that there is no book like the Bible and how I would sum up what it means to me.  It is the reason I get up in the morning.  The word of God has to be my beginning each day, the reason why I can face tough and sometimes dark days and equally the reason why I open my mouth to praise Him.  I can find the answers to all my questions pertaining to my life in this Book and although I don't always fully understand I trust in them.

Following on from yesterday I came across some more quite profound quotes from some notable historians and their thoughts on this Book;

Napoleon: 'What happiness the Bible procures for those who believe it! What marvels it bestows upon those who reflect upon it!'

Daniel Webster (a leading American Statesman from the 19th century): 'There is no solid basis for civilisation but in the Word of God. If we abide by the principles taught in the Bible, our country will continue to prosper. I make it a practice to read the Bible through once every year.'

William Lyon Phelps (once referred to as the most beloved professor in America-of Yale University): 'I thoroughly believe in a university education for both men and women, but I believe knowledge of the Bible without a college course, is more valuable than a college course without knowledge of the Bible.'

Sir William Jones (was an Anglo-Welsh philologist and scholar of ancient India): 'The Bible contains more pure sensibility, more exquisite beauty, more pure morality, more important history, and finer strains of poetry and eloquence than can be collected from all other books in whatever age or language they may be written.'

Robert E. Lee (was a career military office): 'The Bible is a book, in comparison with which all other books are of minor importance. In all my perplexities and distress, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.'

Wow.............................................

Now during the working week I am an early riser, but I have been beaten to the post each morning so far by our three Ugandan girls, two aged 7, and one aged 9.  Despite a full on day which doesn't end until late evening they are up, smiles at the ready, giggling amongst themselves, eager to go out to minister again.  I have a feeling that even when the tour is over and they return home this diligent attitude, and wholesome and inspiring spirit of gratitude and humility will continue.

The choir performed at my school yesterday and told us they felt it a privilege to be in our midst.............. no, no, no, the privilege was 100% ours; to be in the presence of princes and princesses of the King.  Although they will perform for Queen Elizabeth on Saturday at her pad in Windsor, every time they lift their harmonious voices to sing, they already do so, to One who sits on a throne and is the most high.  I continue to be blessed by them and today (day 128) and most thankful.

What does the Bible mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!