Sunday 22 April 2012

Putting on a happy face................. or not?

Today I was chatting to a very good friend of mine who is going through a really rough time and she said that when she wakes up she puts on her happy face before she can face her day.  We all do that don't we, put on a mask to hide the turmoil that might be ensuing inside................... human nature I guess.  We don't want to  appear vulnerable or exposed to the elements called life.

I encouraged her by reminding her that thank God we do not have to rely on human nature, rather on our Father's nature.  If we were to rely on our own, we would not get out of bed in the morning.  The price that was paid by the Jesus Christ means that we can live in and by His Grace with a child like faith that tells us that he will make good come out of every situation.  The hardest thing is holding on to that promise when the going gets tough, but we must.

It's interesting that before I spoke to my friend I woke up singing one of my favourite summer tracks:

I woke up this morning, the sunshine was shining
I put on my happy face
I'm living, I'm able, I'm breathing, I'm grateful
To put on my happy face

Woke up and realised this world's not so bad after all
Looked at it through a child's eyes, and I saw these beautiful
Things that you never think about
Like the ocean, moonlight, stars and clouds
It's amazing how we don't appreciate our blessings

Sometimes, it gets tough, it gets tough
But I can't give up, can't give up
Just take a deep breath, close my eyes
Feel the love and give a smile

Destiny's Child

At such times I believe God does indeed want us to close our eyes and simply allow ourselves to be embraced in His arms and feel His love.

Today (day 118) I am thankful I was able to pray words of encouragement into my friend's situation and bring a smile to her face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!