Saturday 28 January 2012

It's good to be a 'grafter'


It's good to come from a family of hard workers or 'grafters' as I tell my children. Culture and heritage are so important in society today to ensure that children grow up grounded.

My husband comes from a long line of 'grafters'. He is never afraid to get his hands dirty or try something for the first time. He will painstakingly research how to do/fix something and then give it a go. Now I know I mentioned that my car, having served me faithfully for nearly 10 years was in need of a few replacement parts, one of which was potentially going to cost some serious wonga. I won't bore you with the details but basically the ignition cylinder needed replacing and as the car is fitted with an immobiliser it looked like it was a 'back to the dealer job'.

However my husband refused to believe it was a job he could not undertake and so began his in-depth search. He found the part to buy at a fraction of the cost, a DIY video on you tube and guess what, today with my assistance (well I knew long fingernails would come in handy one day) we replaced the part!

We always tell our children that in Nigeria this is what would happen all the time; the lifestyle does not afford the luxury of being able to fund expenses such as that of a sometimes expensive mechanic. When I look around our home at the fruits of my husband's labour (including our conservatory) I marvel and thank God that today (day 33) he has not forgotten the lessons in hard work and diligence that his parents instilled in him, lessons I am proudly passing on to our three.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!