Saturday 14 January 2012

Thank you....................

Today I awoke with the same thoughts each year, on this day, my birthday.  I think of my mother, an awesome woman, who although no longer here, brought me into the world all those years ago.  Despite the fact that I do not have clear memories of her I still miss her terribly. Birthdays are a celebration of that special bond between a mother and child and when that bond is broken (whether through bereavement, estrangement or any other form) it greatly influences the emotions of that day.  For me the day always starts with the sadness that she is not here.  I am however a most blessed individual and today demonstrated that.

My birthday was full of so much love, fun and laughter that I am overwhelmed beyond words.  My husband and children embarrassed me with songs and words of affection throughout the day.  My daughter must have said "I love you mum" a million times.  She always does!   I exchanged tears with my little sister who is a rare treasure, when she called to wish me a happy day.  Her card to me is one I'll treasure for ever.  I enjoyed catching up with my big brother and nephews and sister in law.  My girlfriends came over and we spent some hours in precious fellowship where we laughed, drank, ate and of course I opened some wonderful gifts.  Again they did much more than they should have done and I am so thankful.  The evening was spent in the company of lovely friends and phone calls from my three gorgeous nieces and my dad.

Poignantly, phone calls from my mother in law (including one to wish me 'a happy birthday eve') confirm to me that God does hear the prayers of our heart.  Mine was to have someone I could call 'my mum' and in her I have this because she loves me with the heart and passion of a mother and I her too.

Today (day 19) I am reminded of how much I am loved and for that I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful blog! Reading it is like a warm hug, a reminder to lift your eyes above the waves that are hitting the boat, and to look up at the sky where the sun is breaking through the clouds! Yes, we can all find something to be greatful for in each day, and today I'm greatful for the special friend I have in you, and for this piece of encouragement I have discovered in the universe today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!