Thursday 15 March 2012

Ahead of 'Mothering Sunday'

I have been tutoring two pupils weekly, after school; giving them additional help with their writing and I am thoroughly enjoying it.  I only had one of them attend today and after some warm up games and a debrief about her writing this week she decided to write a poem for her mum, in honour of  'Mothering Sunday'.  I know her mum well and she is a truly lovely lady so it was heart warming to see the poem take shape.  A great deal of thought, choice words / phrases went into it.  She knew the exact message she wanted to convey to her mum.  After the lesson she took it home to decorate and will return it to me tomorrow so that I can laminate it and then her mum will have it for always.

Ahead of 'Mothering Sunday'  I would like to share one of my favourite poems with you.  I read it often and have a copy in various notebooks / journals.  I particularly like the last 4 verses.



Your Mother Is Always With You
           Your mother is always with you...


    She's the whisper of the leaves
    as you walk down the street.


    She's the smell of bleach in
    your freshly laundered socks.


    She's the cool hand on your
    brow when you're not well.


    Your mother lives inside
    your laughter. She's crystallised
    in every tear drop...


    She's the place you came from,
    your first home.. She's the map you
    follow with every step that you take.


    She's your first love and your first heart
    break....and nothing on earth can separate you.


    Not time, Not space...
    Not even death....
    will ever separate you
    from your mother....


    You carry her inside of you....

    - Sherry Martin

    I am so thankful today (day 80) that I have someone I can call on Sunday, who although not my birth mother is an answer to my prayer, one that I prayed in my teens.  My Father in heaven honoured that prayer and my mother-in-law and I have shared a most special, blessed relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!