Saturday 31 March 2012

De do do do, de da da da.................... Is all I want to say to you

De do do do, de da da da
Is all I want to say to you

We all remember these lyrics by The Police................ 
Lead singer and front man Sting had several jobs before he began teaching.  This he did until he hit the big time with The Police.  Sting loved music from an early age after becoming obsessed with a Spanish guitar at the age of 10.  As I listened to the now somewhat iconic line of the chorus I turned to my husband who was of course singing along and asked him what it actually meant.  He said it probably meant nothing, but was perhaps there to fill an empty lyrical space.  Regardless of the reason I remember singing it countless times, along with my friends, in the school playground, feeling somewhat rebellious.

Sting has gone on be one of the most successful singer / songwriters of a generation.  He has enjoyed a life doing what he loves most, making music and made a pretty decent living doing it.  One of my favourite collaborations of his is 'Rise and Fall' which he did with Craig David. 

I have wanted to be a teacher since about the age of 8/9 and have gone on to fulfil that dream.  I have not amassed Sting's apparent estimated fortune of £180 million but I have enough to put a delicious lasagne on the table and treat the love of my life to the odd electronic gadget.  I am privileged to be doing something I love with a passion.  Every now and again I also get to indulge in one of my other passions, drawing, specifically portraiture. 

As parents, my husband and I encourage our children to embrace and experience as much of life as they can through music (singing & playing instruments), sport, dance, reading widely (Gracie is enjoying the works of Shakespeare at the moment, currently reading Julius Caesar, the children's version), through travel and of course through strong wholesome fellowship. 

My prayer of thanks today (day 96) is that they will be blessed in which ever respective professional path they choose later on in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!