Monday 19 March 2012

Pump up the volume!

Since its original release in 1972 by Bill Withers the song 'Lean On Me' has been covered by many artists.  Today I was listening to another cover of it by Michael Bolton, having gratefully received his album for Mother's day.  I really like the soulful depth of his voice and he did the song justice.  He was accompanied by a melodic choir and the combination was just pleasing to the ear, I kept the button on repeat for so long the other tracks went on strike!

It got me wondering about choirs and the fact that so many artists, even those that might be considered extreme choose to have choirs perform with them.  I don't think it's by accident, even if the artists don't realise it.  There is something about heavenly voices that simply lift your innermost core.  There is a stirring in your soul.  The voices of Ladysmith Black Mambazo choir, you can't touch it.  Let me tell you a short story about the power of anointed voices.

Years ago when we lived in London and I was heavily pregnant with Aaron I was outside washing my car (as only a woman would do), listening to Ladysmith when a gentleman walked by we exchanged courteous greetings (you could do that in London back then).  He walked past again but this time stopped to share how much he liked the music, having seen an advert on TV for Heinz baked beans, that was fronted by Ladysmith.  He didn't realise they had released a CD.  I gave a quick history lesson (well if you stand still to talk to me for too long............) and told him that I would be more than happy to copy it for him and I did.  He collected it the following day and gave me flowers to say thank you.  I didn't see him again but felt sure that he would be blessed every time he played that CD............  The children in my class would worry if there wasn't music playing when they came into class in the morning!  The lyrical power of songs are immense and I am so thankful today (day 84) to be able to enjoy such a wide genre of music. 

Go on pump up the volume!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!