Tuesday 13 March 2012

Reflecting some more.................

Following on from my post yesterday, the last week or so has been a period of reflection for my colleagues and I at school.  One of the hardest things about belonging to a professional institution like teaching is that we are at times subject to abuse by parents and other members of the general public.  In the past it has been limited to playground banter, but more recently has now extended to ridicule and abuse, intended to embarrass, humiliate and hurt via 'facebook', the social networking website. 

My Head Teacher has recently been the subject of such treatment and I just don't get it.  It has hurt him deeply and impacted all of us.  The past week has been a somewhat sombre one.  As a teacher I don't claim to always have the answers or always get it right, but I do give 100%, all the time, establish positive relationships with parents and strive to bring out the very best in the children in my care.  I work very hard, every day, in a profession that I truly love.  Parents know that they are able to approach me at any time to discuss all things pertaining to their child.

I believe the purpose for which facebook was created is a good one but when adults use it in a way I believe can only be described as cowardly and destructive as I have witnessed, many times, it really saddens me.  The deep wounds it has caused will leave scars that will take time to heal.

Today (day 78) I am thankful that with the encouragement, support and kind words of us all my Head Teacher is able to smile again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please let us all know what you are grateful for today!